Ultimate Compilation of Business Development Strategies (free download)
So, you want more clients? Join the club! We're sharing our strategies for building a diversified client base that will transform from a project-taker to the go-to expert in your field!
Getting clients is the number one challenge cited by many (especially new) independent consultants in the international development and social impact space.
Indeed, you might be good at your craft but inexperienced in the "business end" of running a social impact-driven consulting business, which is, as the name suggests, a business!
Fortunately, there are strategies for getting clients that work.
Introducing the Ultimate Compilation of Business Development Strategies For Independent Social Impact Professionals.
About the Compilation
This is an overview of 27 strategies that we and other IC-Hubbers use to get consulting clients.
The Compilation explains what each strategy entails and how other independent social impact professionals have used them to grow their impact-driven consulting businesses.
Content and strategies
The 25-page Compilation contains the following chapters and strategies.
Chapter 1: Introduction and how to use this document
Chapter 2: The IC-Hub Business Development Framework
Chapter 3: The strategies
1. Apply for publicly-listed consultancy postings
2. Join the rosters of large development consulting firms that Join the rosters of firms that bid for large development donor contracts
3. Connect with consulting firms who can subcontract work to you
4. Tell your own network you’re open for business
5. Stay in touch with key people
6. Cultivate a mailing list
7. Attend in-person events
8. Speak at events
9. Create a website
10. Create a consultancy brand name
11. Add people on LinkedIn
12. Contact people directly on LinkedIn
13. Develop a map of potential clients or projects
14. Write a blog
15. Write opinion editorials
16. Create and share infographics and tools
17. Publish research in academic journals
18. Guest lecture at universities
19. Host a podcast
20. Create a YouTube channel
21. Use search engine optimisation and social media advertising
22. Make your last employer your first client
23. Get to know other consultants in your field
24. Work with or for other consultants
25. Find work on a job platform
26. Showcase client testimonials
27. Provide an incentive for clients to refer you
Secure free access to the Compilation
This is a premium resource that we are using in our IC-Hub Premium Workshops. However, we want to reward the IC-Hubbers who have kindly helped spread the word about the IC-Hub and grow our community.
Therefore, to secure access to the Compilation:
Join the IC-Hub (via any form on our website).
Share a post on LinkedIn about the IC-Hub. This could involve sharing any of our content, or just sharing the IC-Hub website with a short caption.
We will email you the Compilation.
If you're interested in learning more about independent consulting in the social impact sector, why not join the Impact Consulting Hub?
Sign up for our mailing list to become a member.